Thursday, June 9, 2022

ZIM Zooming Down - Update 1

ZIM Daily


Today we gapped down at the Open and didn't even try to fill the gap. That's very bearish. Then we made another big down candle almost as big as yesterday and with almost as much volume. 

Given that this is the day before a big economic report, tomorrow morning 8:30am ET (the month to month CPI inflation report), makes today's big move even more significant, because you often see quiet and/or mean reversion type days before a big report comes out.

In yesterday's post, I forgot to mention the candle closed near the bottom. This was another bearish indicator. Today, we did it again.

Stochastics are still in the mid-range, so we have plenty of runway to drop further.

So, we continue to have a very bearish set up. However, the CPI report tomorrow morning is a craps shoot. The market could rocket upwards in response. And this could definitely happen even though we're in a bear market. On the other hand, looking at things fundamentally, which I try not to do, it seems very likely we'll get a higher than expected inflation number. If we do, then that puts more pressure on the Federal Reserve to increase short term interest rates higher and faster. That should be very bearish for the market.

Our July 55 Put was purchased yesterday for $3.20. Today's last trade was $5.90. That means our puts have increased in value by 5.90 - 3.20 = 2.70 * 100 shares = $270 profit. I had a very strong desire to sell and capture that profit. Would that be the best course of action? It would certainly be the safest and satisfy the loud voice in my head warning I could lose it all. But how would I feel if ZIM gaps way down tomorrow? Not so good.

I decided I wanted to participate in a likely downdraft tomorrow, which I'd miss if I sold out the position. However, there's a very real chance the market could shoot up tomorrow and take ZIM with it. So it would be a good idea to take a hedge against our short position.

I Tweeted out at 3:16pm ET that I bought a June 60 Call option for $0.60. If ZIM goes up significantly tomorrow then this Call option will increase in value, offsetting our losses in the Put option. Not necessarily 100%, but it'll help. Since the news comes out at 8:30 and the option market opens at 9:30, we'll just have to wait to liquidate the position.

Of course, if ZIM takes a flying leap further down, the Call option could become worthless before I can sell it. But our gains will far outweigh the $60 loss. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment