Thursday, December 29, 2022

XLE Looks Positive - Update 4

XLE Daily



Yesterday I said "If we close above the 8ema tomorrow, then it will look even more like a bobble between MA's." Well, we closed today above 8ema, and about half way up yesterday's candle. So now I expect we'll bobble between the 50sma, which is coincident with the downward Trend Line, and the 8ema, until we break out one way or the other.

If you look at this chart from the swing low at 68.66 forward, then you'll see the downward trending channel we're in, combined with the upward trending channel that precedes it, form a Flag pattern. The expected breakout from the downward channel is to the upside, which would continue the general uptrend you'd see on a higher Time Frame.

The fact that we bounced off the .382 Fibonacci also suggests we're going higher. But trading is a probabilistic enterprise, not a deterministic one, so we'll read the tea leaves the best we can, and remember risk control and capital preservation are the top priorities.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

XLE Looks Positive - Update 3

XLE Daily



Today's chart looks worse than it probably is. It did form a red candle with no top wick. But we didn't close below the 8ema.

Yesterday I said "we're right up against the 50sma which could provide resistance, and put us in a bobble between the 8ema and the 50sma". So far, it looks like that's what's happening. If we close above the 8ema tomorrow, then it will look even more like a bobble between MA's.

Certainly there's not enough evidence to exit the trade. Not yet anyway. So we held the position. 

If we close below the 8ema tomorrow, and near the bottom of the day's range, then we'll have to think seriously about getting out. But we may want to wait and see if there's follow through the next day. It'll depend on the actual situation near the Close. For example, if the options have very little value left in them, then it may make more sense to hold on to them for a possible bounce.

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

XLE Looks Positive - Update 2

XLE Daily




Good news is we may have broke out of the congestion and made a higher high and a higher low than the candles since the recent swing low. We're above all the Moving Averages except for the 50sma. Stochastics are not yet overbought. We're continuing to move away from the .382 rather than retest it again. This is all Bullish and supports our trade.

But on the other hand, we're right up against the 50sma which could provide resistance, and put us in a bobble between the 8ema and the 50sma. We haven't yet broken the downward Trend Line. We haven't formed a Bullish candlestick pattern since the recent swing lows, although we may have formed a Double Bottom. Volume is mediocre. This does not paint a particularly Bullish picture.

Bottom line, its an easy decision to hold the trade.

Thursday, December 22, 2022

XLE Looks Positive - Update 1

XLE Daily Chart



Today was a big day for many of the markets, but just noise within the current sideways congestion/consolidation for XLE. We even closed right in the middle of it. A non-material day.

Tomorrow is the trading day before Christmas. I'm told that is an up day about 75% of the time. I'm expecting a reversal in XLE, but not much of a break out from the congestion range.

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

XLE Looks Positive

XLE Daily


The applicable part of this Daily chart, regarding this trade, begins at the 65.48 low on 7/14/22. If you draw Fibonacci levels from the recent 94.71 swing high on 11/14/22 down to the 65.48 low on 7/14/22, you'll see the current swing low at 82.65 on 12/9/22 is very close to the 38.2% Fib retracement.

Notice the price action from 94.71 to 82.65 is in a AB/CD format. See the 2 little white, downward angled, diagonal lines. And, the 82.88 swing low 2 days ago made a higher low than the 82.65 low.

Also, Stochastics, on the bottom of the chart, are extremely low at the 82.65 low.

A setup like this can lead to a substantial bounce up to the -27.2% Fib extension at 102.64. It would have been better for me to wait until the Close today to see if we close over the 8ema. Its mid-day and we are over the 8ema but I should wait a few more hours. But I'm going to be busy with other trades I have planned near the close, so I'm going to jump the gun, but use options to limit my risk to a defined amount, which is the cost of the options.

So, I got an XLE March 95 Call for 2.22. I picked March to allow enough time for the trade but also to control the Theta time decay. Also, this option has a 30% Delta, which is an inflection point in the Delta vs underlying curve, meaning Delta accelerates its increase from 30% to 70%.

The Target is the -27.2% Fib extension at 102.64. This also coincides with the price swing from 7/14/22 to 8/29/22, as represented by the thick, white, upward angled, line. The next price swing is longer, which doesn't hurt. 

I almost always shade my entries, stops, and targets to account for slippage and bid/ask spreads. So, my actual exit is when XLE is 102.50.


Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Bullish Jan 2023 Beans - Exit

Jan Soybeans Daily at 13:30 ET


Jan Soybeans 5 minute at 13:30 ET


We have a big grains related report due out this Friday 12/9/22, which means its more likely we'll continue in a sideways consolidation until the report than have a consolidation break out. We're at the 78.6% Fibonacci level as well as previous resistance.

Considering price was over the upper Bollinger Band after a good acceleration on the Daily chart, the 5 minute chart is starting to roll over, and we had a 24% gain in our position, I decided it would be best if I sell now (13:30 ET).

I sent a Tweet at 13:41 ET announcing I sold, which gave anyone following me 40 minutes to take action if they wanted to.

Summary: I exited today even though we haven't reached our target because I think we'll go down to sideways until the report on Friday, with no clue what will happen in response to the report.

Bought: Jan 1450/1460 Call Spread for 5 1/8 on 11/29/22 (5.125 * $50 = $256.25)
Sold today 13:30 ET for 6 3/8
Profit 6 3/8 - 5 1/8 = 1.25 * $50 = $62.50 (62.50/256.25 = 24% gain) 

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Bullish Jan 2023 Beans - Update 5

Jan Soybean Daily




Our patience paid off. At least for today. We made a large green candle on respectable volume, but saw some profit taking later in the day. And we made this Bullish move when many markets were red.

We closed above the 8ema and all the Moving Averages we track. Stochastics are still in the mid-range, so no "resistance" from being overbought. 

I was tempted to close out our position with a little profit because there is a big market moving Ag report coming out this Friday 12/9/22 12pm ET. But now the chart is looking Bullish again so it seems premature to exit today when we still have a couple more days.

So, I held our position yet again.